With the hot and humid temperatures felt consistently in Sarasota Florida, one of the most vital components of your home is its Air Conditioning system! As this system gets older, its repairs become more frequent and expensive which will make some consider replacing their A/C system. But how do you know it’s time to replace it? Here are a few things to consider before making that decision:
- Is the system between 12-15 years old? ASHRAE, whom is effectively the governing body of H.V.A.C in the United States anticipates Air Conditioning systems lasting between 12-15 years under normal circumstances. Things like being located near salt water or a lack of preventive maintenance may reduce that number, but most systems should last close to 12 years. If your system is considerably younger, but you have been advised to replace it, you should consider getting a second opinion.
- Does the system need a repair that that will cost more than 15 % of its replacement cost? Typically, repairs like indoor coil leaks and failed compressors do not make sense to repair once the manufactures part warranty has expired. If the repairs are over 15% of the cost to replace the whole system, strong consideration should be given to a new system.
- Does your utility bill skyrocket during the Summer? If your utility bill is $100 a month in the Winter when the A/C system is not running but jumps to $300 or more during the Summer, replacing your A/C system for utility reasons can make sense. Just make sure the duct work is tested for leakage in order to verify that your utility bill is not the result of leaky duct work, as opposed to that old A/C system.
Now that we have determined we need a new A/C system its time to hire someone to complete the project. Keep in mind that this is a long-term decision with lasting implications because the company you hire will be responsible for your warranty work and the maintenance on your new A/C system for the foreseeable future.
Who you select to install your new A/C system is the single most important decision you will make in the entire process. The day the system is installed is the most critical day in its life and will determine how long-lasting and trouble-free that new system will be. Here are a few things to consider:
- You will want to hire a company whom follows the ‘Industries Best Practices’ for installation procedures. This includes purging the freon pipes with nitrogen while connecting, evacuating the system to 350 microns and ensuring that the ducts are the correct size by measuring the resistance in the duct work. When getting quotes ask the salesman what sort of ‘installation practices’ they follow and see if these items are included.
- You will want to hire a company that will test your old duct work for leakage using calibrated instruments and science (not simply feeling around). 20% duct leakage (which is not uncommon) can reduce the SEER of your equipment by over 5 points! So your new 18 SEER system will have a real-world SEER of 12.5 with 20% duct leakage! A simple duct leakage test will ensure you get the efficiency you payed for.
- You will want to hire a company that will assess your attic insulation levels, perform a load calculation on your home and one that will obtain the proper building permits on your behalf.
- You will want to hire a company that is consistently ranked in the top 5 % of all dealers for having the fewest warranty claims after installations (few warranties = installation quality).
- You will want to hire a company whom not only meets local building codes, but exceeds them.
In short, you will want to hire Green Cooling Solutions!
At Green Cooling Solutions we provide, install, and complete these items on every installation and do so while garnering the accolades, reviews and reputation other companies dream about!
When you hire us, you can expect:
- Expert, Clean-Cut, NATE Certified Installation Technicians
- Duct Leakage Testing with every New System Installation
- Building Permits obtained from the Local Municipally
- Surge Protection Installed on every New System (to protect sensitive electronics)
- Complimentary One Year Platinum Maintenance Agreement
- Post Installation Quality-Control Walk-Through
- Favorable Financing Options including 18 Months Same as Cash
- Our One Full Year – 100% Money Back Guarantee!